So, I’ve seen a lot of switchplate covers that people are making out there – and VERY cute. But, I wanted to make my own so that I could coordinate things identically with a comforter or duvet cover for Beka’s room. So, I ventured out and decided to make my own. I found an adorable fabric that I plan to use as an accent fabric, and that’s what I decided to use for her covers.
I started out with white metal switchplate covers. I decided to go with the metal due to a nice texture on the face of the plates as compared to the plastic covers and I figured they would be a little more substantial.
I cut out pieces of fabric to slightly larger than the actual switchplate.
Next, I centered the switchplate on the pattern the way I wanted it and then traced the switchplate outline.
After tracing, I cut a small slit in the fabric where the center of the switchplate is and then made diagonal cuts to the line on each corner. For the tags that are on the top & bottom, I trimmed the point off about half-way so that when it’s applied to the switchplate the fabric doesn’t cover the screw holes.
Then I clipped the outside corners to the line. After preparing my different pieces of fabric, it was time to start adhering the fabric to the switchplates. I used fabric ModPog by Plaid.
I followed the directions for applying the fabric to the switchplate.
After gluing the fabric to the front of the switchplates, I then flipped them over and started wrapping the fabric onto the back. Using the ModPog, I coated the back of the switchplate and began wrapping the fabric over making sure to make it taught and smooth.
To assure that the corners were relatively smooth, I clipped, about at 45-degrees, the cut corners. I then continued wrapping the fabric all the way around, trimming and clipping excess fabric as needed.
I’m not a perfectionist, so they aren’t perfect. After wrapping the fabric all the way around, I then put a little dollop of ModPog in each corner and used my fingers to tuck the excess fabric around the corner so that the fabric followed the contour of the curved corners and was smooth on the inside.
Once the glue was allowed to cure for a few hours, then coat with the ModPog and let cure for a couple days for a nice finished product. Use an awl or other device to pierce the screw holes and then you’ll have a finished product ready for installation.